25 February 2014

wedding china

Yesterday I posted this picture on Instagram with these words: We use our wedding china everyday. People often ask what happens of one breaks. Well, it breaks. Better to be used for years, meal after meal, than stored in a box waiting for the perfect opportunity. Everyday, that's our perfect opportunity.

The first dish I broke was years ago. It was the large platter and it was Valentine's Day. Not just any Valentine's Day, but our first as a married couple. Using our china was only for special occasions. We kept it stacked nicely in a cabinet, using a set of pottery daily. This night, though was a china occasions. 

I'd set the stage, candles and flowers, little hearts cut out and sprinkled on the stairs, leading to the landing where we would have dinner (and maybe kiss a time or two). Because I'm so graceful in movements, I managed to drop one dish onto the platter, breaking it in two. 

I still remember the feelings inside. Angry and sad and embarrassed all tied up with a red bow. After my fumble and tears, when dinner was finished, the china was carefully washed and placed into the cabinet. I pulled it out with hesitation on the next special occasion. 

When we moved from our house in Indianapolis into a small apartment, much of our furniture and belongings were put into boxes, then a storage unit. There the china would sit for 3 years only to be moved again, sitting for another 3 years. Six years unused. 

Upon our most recent move, Jonathan asked why we even had it. It seemed silly. I agreed. Then I asked if he cared if I gave the pottery we'd used for years to a friend, using our wedding china everyday. He thought that was a great idea. I kept 4 pieces of the pottery, giving the remaining 12ish place settings. Both parties, happy. 

You know I am a believer in the Table and those who gather, I want to celebrate. Every time we gather, is the perfect opportunity to celebrate something. Wedding china or not, I hope you see the perfect opportunity in your day. 

I shed no tears when the dish, pictured above, broke. Rather, I was more happy it served its purpose, instead of being tucked away waiting. 

1 comment:

anna said...

I remember when I was a kid and we started using my parents wedding Noritake service.